Protecting the foundation of your home with regular maintenance and inspections is the best way to prevent major and costly repairs through the years. As a homeowner, a simple visual inspection can alert you to possible foundation problems long before moisture or water leaks are present. Chalky white stains on a basement wall indicates that you may have moisture issues beginning to develop. This is the perfect time to have a professional foundation inspection done.
The experts at Wet Coast have years of experience restoring older homes on Vancouver Island. If you are considering purchasing an older home or renovating the basement in one, repairing and waterproofing the foundation can be the best investment to ensure many worry-free years. They understand firsthand how our unique climate, terrain, and seismic activity can affect your foundation. Their inspections are extremely thorough and three-fold:
- Investigate symptoms – They will examine all current interior and exterior symptoms
- Diagnose the cause – Rather than simply offering a solution to any obvious issues, their experts will take further steps to ensure there are no hidden problems. This is done by excavating small test holes down to the footing. This process allows for a more thorough assessment of the foundation as well as your home’s perimeter drain and ensures a more accurate diagnosis in order to render a budget-friendly strategy.
- Solve the problem – Before any work begins, Wet Coast staff will discuss all the steps needed as well as a timeline and materials required to complete the job. You will receive regular status updates and we are always available and happy to answer any questions you may have along the way.
Waterproofing Your Basement
The conditions on Vancouver Island play a huge factor in potential foundation damage. Some of the issues that contribute to excess stress on concrete foundations include:
- Rainy weather
- Poor drainage
- Dense clay soil
- High seismic activity
It’s important to understand that concrete actually absorbs water and when the water table around the outside of your home rises, it creates pressure against your foundation that may eventually lead to cracks and cause leaks. Waterproofing your foundation is one of the best ways to protect the most vulnerable part of your home. Having all perimeter drains inspected regularly will avoid costly repair bills down the road.
Most homeowners are not aware of the difference between damp-proofing and waterproofing your foundation. Although damp-proofing has been the minimum code, is easy to apply and a relatively cheap fix, however it simply inhibits water penetration, it does not prevent it!
Waterproofing the exterior of your basement will prevent issues such as:
- Musty odors
- Water leaks
Reputable professionals agree that the best way to protect the foundation of your home is by excavating around the exterior and applying and elastomeric emulsive membrane to seal the wall. This procedure provides a drainage plane for water and stretches over future cracks resulting in an unbeatable triple layer of waterproofing protection.
You can count on our expert staff to properly diagnose the root cause of your problem before we propose any solutions. Wet Coast is proud to offer our comprehensive turnkey service. We take care of everything from start to finish, including:
- Pulling necessary permits
- Replacing landscaping and pathways
We are able to protect your existing landscaping from damage that can be caused by excavation machines and Bobcats by offering an exclusive hand excavation option. One of the best investments you can make in your home is to avoid future problems before they happen. Prevention can go a long way to avoiding costly foundation repairs! Let Wet Coast professionals provide you with an onsite evaluation and quote.